Check out the rules to operate any e-bike, moped or scooter on the California Streets.
Electric Bicycles CVC 312.5(a)
This definition applies to electric bikes with functional pedals ONLY with an output of less than 750 watts.
Electric bicycles must follow the same rules of the road as bicycles [21200 CVC]. Only Class 1 and Class 2 electric bicycles may be ridden in Class 2 Bikeways and the rider must not endanger the safety of bicyclists [21209(b) CVC]. Electric bicycles have now been divided into three different categories: Class 1, Class 2 and Class 3.
Class 1: Pedal assisted only Maximum speed of 20 MPH
Class 2: Throttle assisted only Maximum speed of 20 MPH
Class 3: Pedal assisted only Maximum speed of 28 MPH Must have a speedometer.
- Bikeways (bike path & bike lane) prohibited. CVC 21207.5(a)
- Must be 16 years old but NO DL required 21213(a)
- CVC Bicycle helmet required (includes passengers) CVC 21213(b)
Electrically Motorized Board CVC 313.5
This device is commonly known as a Hoverboard and can be operated almost anywhere a pedestrian can walk, unless prohibited by local ordinance. Hoverboards may be operated in a Class 2 or Class 4 Bikeway.
- Must be 16 years old but NO DL required CVC 21291
- Bicycle helmet required CVC 21292
- Required equipment during darkness CVC 21293(a), (b), (c) or (d)
- Restricted to 35 MPH streets or slower CVC 21294(a)
- Speeding (15MPH maximum) CVC 21294(b)
- DUI on an Electrically Motorized Board CVC 21296(a)
Motorized Scooters CVC 407.5(a)(b)
Motorized scooters (electric or gas-powered) may be operated on public roadways without registration or insurance as long as they are either in a marked bike lane or on a street with a speed limit of 25 MPH or slower.
- DUI Regulations apply to motorized scooters CVC 21221.5
- Lights are required during darkness CVC 21223(a)(1), (2), or (3)
- Required use of marked Bike Lane CVC 21229(a)
- Restricted to streets limited to 25 MPH or slower CVC 21235(b)
- Bicycle helmet required CVC 21235(c)
- Valid Driver’s License or Permit required CVC 21235(d)
- May not ride on sidewalk CVC 21235(g)
- May not ride on the Boardwalk except for conventional bicycles 8409 SDMC May not exceed 15 MPH CVC 22411
- Must use right hand edge of roadway – CVC 21228(a)
- Must dismount and cross on foot as a pedestrian for left turn – CVC 21228(a)(2)
- Must have a brake – CVC 21235(a)
- Operator must be 16 years old – CVC 21235(d)
- No passengers allowed – CVC 21235(e)
- Must keep at least one hand on handlebars – CVC 21235(f)
- Not allowed on sidewalks – CVC 21235(g)
- Handlebars must be below shoulder level – CVC 21235(h)
- Cannot park and block sidewalk with scooter – CVC 21235(i)
- Cannot attach to another vehicle – CVC 21235(j)
Mopeds and Motorized Bicycles CVC 406(a)
This definition applies to gas-powered bicycles with working pedals and electric bicycles without pedals which are capable of traveling at a maximum speed of 30 MPH. These Mopeds are required to be registered and insured, and the operator must possess a Class M2 motorcycle license. Mopeds may be ridden in bike lanes, but the rider must ride in a manner that does not endanger the safety of bicyclists CVC (21209(b).
- Special DMV plate required CVC 5030
- M2 license required CVC 12500(b)
- Insurance required CVC 16028(a)
- Motorcycle helmet required CVC 27803(b)
- Lighting and Equipment requirements CVC 24015(a) or (b)
- Bike path or Bikeway prohibited CVC 21207.5