When preparing to make a left turn, you are required to yield to oncoming traffic. The code states:
1. (a) The driver of a vehicle intending to turn to the left or to complete a U-turn upon a highway, or to turn left into public or private property, or an alley, shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles approaching from the opposite direction which are close enough to constitute a hazard at any time during the turning movement, and shall continue to yield the right-of-way to the approaching vehicles until the left turn or U-turn can be made with reasonable safety.
2. A driver having yielded as prescribed in subdivision (a) and having given a signal as required by this code, may turn left or complete a U-turn, and the drivers of vehicles approaching the intersection or the entrance to the property or alley from the opposite direction shall yield the right-of-way to the turning vehicle.
Danger in a Left Turning Vehicle
The majority of motor vehicle accidents are rear-end collisions but a substantial number occur at intersections when a motorist making a left turn neglects to see an approaching vehicle or misjudges the car’s speed and distance. This is especially true when the approaching vehicle is a motorcycle since they are more difficult to see and their speed is often seen as slower than it is.
What if You Have a Reasonable Explanation?
In most cases, an officer will ticket you if you turn in front of approaching traffic or are involved in an accident at the intersection. What the officer does not know is that the light may have changed in your favor and the approaching vehicle ignored it and proceeded into the intersection. Another scenario is that the motorist signaled to let you turn but the officer behind you failed to see it and pulled you over.
In traffic cases where the ticketed motorist insists he or she did not violate the code section, the offender handles the case without legal representation, or hopes that the officer will not appear so the case will be dismissed. If the officer does appear, you have to decide whether to challenge the ticket or plead guilty.
If you decide to try the case, you have to know how to cross-examine the officer and what objections to make while the judge questions the officer. If not, then testimony that would otherwise be inadmissible is allowed. When it is your turn, you may only have your own explanation. If you try to introduce evidence such as charts, you have to know the rules of evidence to get it admitted. Should you have witnesses, knowing what questions to ask and how to ask them is essential or your version of what happened will be discounted by the judge.
Why Hire a Traffic Ticket Expert?
Regardless of what happened in the incident, hire a traffic ticket expert from Ticket Snipers. Handling your own case is rarely a good idea even if you have legal experience. A traffic ticket expert only handles traffic violation cases and has the knowledge and skills that you will need.
With help from Ticket Snipers, you can expect:
- No spending hours in a crowded courtroom waiting for your case to be called
- No need to make any court appearances
- Legal fees that are half of what your fine would be
And if you win:
- No points on your record
- No increase in insurance premiums
- No risk of losing your license if you have multiple violations on your record
If you decide to plead guilty, your fine is $238 and you receive a point on your driving record. If you are eligible for traffic school, you still pay the fine along with the $50 for the traffic school. Your insurance company might still find out and your monthly premiums will also rise, costing you an extra thousand dollars or more per year.
Points can accumulate quickly. In California, 4 points in 12-months can lead to license suspension. If you receive 6 points in 24-months, the DMV can also suspend your license. If you drive for a living or depend on extra income as a Lyft or Uber driver, you risk loss of your job.
Traffic Ticket Experts with a Track Record of Success
Over the past decade, experts from Ticket Snipers have handled thousands of traffic violation cases including every part of the vehicle code. In the majority of cases, our experts have managed to have the ticket dismissed. We have achieved a remarkable track record because our team has the knowledge, resources and skills to spot loopholes, errors and technicalities that force judges to dismiss the violation. Our record and success rate is why so many of our clients return to us and refer us their friends and family members.
We can also charge legal fees that are among the lowest in the industry, often half of what your ticket would cost. We offer the best opportunity to get your ticket dismissed, give us a call today.