California Vehicle Code 22103—Residential U-Turn
It is unlawful to make a U-turn in a residential area under certain circumstances. CVC 22103 states:
“No person in a residence district shall make a U-turn when any other vehicle is approaching from either direction within 200 feet, except at an intersection when the approaching vehicle is controlled by an official traffic control device.”
If you are in an unfamiliar neighborhood or you forgot something at home and want to return, making a U-turn is not an uncommon maneuver and is generally safe since speed limits are low in residential areas. But a U-turn can be hazardous at times, since an approaching vehicle is expecting you to turn left or right and will continue to proceed on the roadway.
CVC 22103 is intended to make traffic safer in neighborhoods where pedestrians/children are present and to make sure motorists make U- turns at specific areas when other vehicles are at a safe distance.
If you are ticketed for making an unlawful or unsafe U-turn in a residential area, you should turn to a traffic ticket expert from Ticket Snipers to help you, especially if you feel your turn was made safely or legally.
Defenses in a CVC 22103 Case
Here are the most popular defenses to an alleged violation of CVC 22103:
- Were you in a residence district? Under Vehicle Code 515, you can find the definition of a residence district. If you were making your turn in an area where there are few residences, then you might have made a legal U-turn.
- The other vehicle was more than 200 feet away. If you can pinpoint the location where you were making your turn and the spot where you noticed the approaching vehicle and measured it as being more than 200 feet away, then you might have a defense.
- Was there a traffic control device at the intersection where you made your U-turn?
Defending Yourself at Traffic Court
Traffic court may look and sound different from a regular criminal courtroom but the rules of evidence are the same and the judge will expect you to know the law, to conduct yourself properly and know how to handle a court trial, even if you are not a lawyer. For example, the officer will testify first. If you fail to object at certain times, the officer could testify on events that he or she has not observed, to statements made by other parties or to diagrams/notes without having a proper foundation to do so.
You also have to know how to cross-examine the officer and to cast doubt on any of the elements in the vehicle code.
You can research the law on hearsay and how to lay a proper foundation, among other potential issues, but if you lack the trial experience and how to recognize objectionable testimony and evidence, then you will look amateurish and merely irritate the judge.
Retain a Traffic Ticket Expert
You may want to spend the hours researching the law, visiting the scene, making diagrams and plotting how to present your case and defense. But for a fee that is less than the cost of your ticket, you can retain an experienced traffic ticket expert from Ticket Snipers to handle your case.
With a Ticket Sniper expert, you have certain advantages:
- No missing time from work while you attend court
- No need to make any court appearances
- No having to spend hours researching the law and learning how to question witnesses, subpoena records or presenting your own case
- Having a seasoned traffic ticket expert who has handled cases just like yours hundreds or thousands of times
- Having a skilled traffic ticket expert who knows how to find errors, inconsistencies and carelessness in the prosecution’s case that lead to a dismissal
- Paying legal fees that are often half of what your ticket and costs would be
If your traffic ticket expert wins, then:
- No fines or costs
- No points added to your driving record
- No increase in your auto insurance that can add up to hundreds of dollars more than what you currently pay
Take the stress and worry out of your traffic ticket. Ticket Snipers has handled thousands of traffic violations over the years. We know what defenses work and how to attack the testimony of the officer who wrote your ticket.
Our team has obtained dismissals in the majority of cases we have handled. Our record and success rate is why so many clients return to us and refer their friends and family. While no attorney can or should guarantee an outcome, you have the best opportunity for a favorable outcome with an traffic ticket expert from Ticket Snipers handling your case.